I found this cake recipe on pinchofyum.com and I’ve got to say it’s really delicious! It’s great for Autumn / Winter and has all the lovely warm seasonal flavours we all gravitate towards in the colder months.
It’s very simple to make and most people will already have all the ingredients in their kitchen. It’s been such a hit with my family, that I’ve made it numerous times! The cake itself is more like a steamed pudding texture, it’s moist and can be eaten hot or cold. Serve with ice cream, custard, or my favourite cream!
It takes 10 minutes to prep, 45 minutes to bake and serves 16 people (for smaller families just half the recipe and use a smaller baking pan).
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk (you can sub this by using 1 tablespoon white vinegar and fill up to cup line with milk and leave to sit for at least 5 mins)
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 1/2 cups of chopped apples (use whatever apples you like best)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 325°F (170°C UK).
- Mix all the batter ingredients in list order.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Combine the topping ingredients and sprinkle over the batter.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until an inserted skewer and comes out clean.
That’s it! It’s really that simple!